Snotty Suits and Vegan Fare

I'm in the central library again reading short stories and going through zines and graphic novels. Somehow living in other people's stories make me feel more alive than being out and living my own life.

My fellow young colleagues and I went out earlier to drop off papers at the council. We were also tasked to go out and prospect. While inside Urban Fare, an expensive "healthy" supermarket catering to downtown yuppies, I could see how out of place we were.

We were brown teenagers in a sea of white men in suits. I didn't voice out my observation but somehow AJ told us that the men in suits seemed a little bit snobbish. Maybe suits made you look snobbish, maybe wearing suits make you a little snobbish, who knows? All I know was that we were out of place. It didn't matter if we were sitting on a golden egg of opportunity, it didn't matter if we were going to lead better lives compared to most, on the outset we didn't belong there. How could we play with the big guys?

Look, look at our people. They weren't the men in suits sitting in tables eating organic, gluten-free, vegetarian fare. No, they were the cashiers, the order takers, the grocery clerks. They looked at you and wonder why you're out on a sunny day in a high end supermarket, having coffee. Don't you have mouths to feed? Bills to pay? Young, filipino yuppies in Vancouver. What a rare breed. Must be such a funny sight.


Maybe i'll just float for a while. All the drive and energy and expectations and standards, they are too intense sometimes. Maybe I should have been born Italian.

Comments

Popular Posts