It's my party

My first day of work at a retail store wasn’t so bad but it could have been better. It wasn’t as bad as some horrific scene from a chick-flick. No I didn’t get buried in a pile of clothes while attempting to reach for a size XL nor did I fall off a ladder. It was just that I (or maybe we) were thrown right into the thick of things. No orientation, no training whatsoever. Of course my manager would argue that experience is the best teacher but for a job like this, it would be a better teaching experience if we had the training first, eh? As much as we want to focus on our customers, shouldn’t we also focus on what we can offer them? What good is a stuttering sales associate who has no idea where the jogging pants are? We’re no better off than the clueless customer, wait, the customer isn’t even so clueless at all because they know what they’re looking for. Shouldn’t we have had some point of ingress before opening the store. maybe a day for everyone to get familiarized with the merchandise and information? I know I have to pick these things up as we go along, but most of us are working part-time. We don’t have that time or opportunity to do so. We have customers coming in every second,

My manager told me that I had to think of this as my party, and I was the host. Well, Lesley Gore seems to think we can do whatever we want in our parties after all, “It’s my party I can cry if I want to”. If I want the customer to be left alone, I’ll leave them alone. I don’t want to be pushy My manager told me that there’s nothing wrong with being pushy but if I were the consumer I’d surely get pissed by a pushy sales associate.

After all my constructive complaints comes the part where I’m telling myself to deal with this as best as I can. After all what better way to experience the fashion industry than to start at the bottom of it?  


Btw, it's not way, my feet are killing me!

Comments

Popular Posts