What's Cooking?




It is unfair for people to judge your cooking skills based on how you look and act. I've earned more disbelief than praises for my cooking skills. However my green thumb for cooking is the only thing that I am immensely proud of. I never really thought I could cook so well. Presentation-wise my dishes are ugly but taste makes up for it. I remember starting to cook out of obligation. Since I was so often left at home I had to make dinner for everyone. I first started heating left-over dishes in grade school then I started going to the market on my own to buy fish, vegetables, fruits, meat and poultry. From there I cooked my first sinigang, my first pasta and my first Calamares which became a big hit during our school's fair. I gained more confidence in cooking and started to experiment. People always attributed it to beginner's luck but how often can beginner's luck occur? 

I make the best scrambled eggs in town, my mother thinks so. And even though it was my first time to cook adobong baboy, pancit bihon and nilagang baka they always turn out delicious. I've finally had the pleasure of making my family admit that I am a good cook. Smug, care-free lazy Nina is happy now, yes she is! 

The next time you joke about me only knowing how to fry, I'll butcher you. And yes I'm morbid like that. 


Comments

Popular Posts