Remembering Bohol

This is two years late but I just can't forget Bohol. Wait, I can't forget Bohol Quality, the best local grocery in town.




When I went there for a short vacation, my sib and I were left to cook our own meals and we enjoyed going through various choices of tokwa (tofu) to choose from. I am a tokwa fan and I went crazy.



We also visited churches, ate at local restaurants and drank at a local bar.






I enjoyed Bohol because we didn't go there the usual way. No hotel check-ins or hired cars. We lived in a boarding house,


commuted to the city center,




did everyday grocery shopping








and cooked our own meals.






 We would walk around town looking at beautiful old houses, eating streetfood, visiting museums and beaches, where drivers overcharge you for the trip and going home takes a lot of waiting in an almost desserted highway town.




We'd smoke cigars, play the guitar and drink some beer in the veranda.




Everything was quiet, familiar but different. We lived like we belonged there when we didn't. It felt good living in a house and not in a "clinical" room that looked the same city after city. We felt like locals for a few days. My decision to go there was very personal, I think I was such a mess at one point I needed to be physically away from the misery. It was one of the best get-away trip I've ever had. And it's time I write about it, relive it. 'Till my feet dares to go on spontaneous adventures again, I'll remember you Bohol.


Comments

Popular Posts