December Perks
Today as we got off the train we were bombarded with a very huge ad of Vic Sotto for Western Union. I couldn't help but think aloud...
WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!
That's an ad right after you get in/out of the skytrain and it's HUGE. And it's Vic Sotto. I would assume that most people will have no idea who the guy is but almost all Filipinos know him. Obviously, Western Union is targeting the Filipino population in the city. We are their market, they know how often we remit money back to the Philippines. The thing is, some workers and their families prefer them to stay here and send money rather than go home and spend the money on ticket fares. Material gifts have become substitute for time and presence. This is rapidly changing Filipino values. Strong family ties are now based on the amount of financial support you give your relatives rather than emotional support. I have always disdained this aspect of familial responsibility and it's getting worse.
And just last night, I found out Vic Sotto is now dating Pauleen Luna, the girl is more or less 30 years younger than he is. How timely.
Moving on, yesterday some of my classmates decided to open the blinds and walah! A peek of the city from our classroom. I don't often get to see it because I'm on the other side of the room and the people near the windows rarely open the blinds. The city's been foggy lately, I enjoyed taking glances outside since I've been stuck in my desk facing the computer all day.
My planner's december month is slowly filling up too. Lots of projects, exams, presentations and quizzes due this week and next week. I also have work during the holidays so it's getting pretty tough.
My schedule for next term is hell! But the subjects are very exciting. Flash, Dreamweaver, Film Editing and Audio! Who wouldn't love that?!
WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!
That's an ad right after you get in/out of the skytrain and it's HUGE. And it's Vic Sotto. I would assume that most people will have no idea who the guy is but almost all Filipinos know him. Obviously, Western Union is targeting the Filipino population in the city. We are their market, they know how often we remit money back to the Philippines. The thing is, some workers and their families prefer them to stay here and send money rather than go home and spend the money on ticket fares. Material gifts have become substitute for time and presence. This is rapidly changing Filipino values. Strong family ties are now based on the amount of financial support you give your relatives rather than emotional support. I have always disdained this aspect of familial responsibility and it's getting worse.
And just last night, I found out Vic Sotto is now dating Pauleen Luna, the girl is more or less 30 years younger than he is. How timely.
Moving on, yesterday some of my classmates decided to open the blinds and walah! A peek of the city from our classroom. I don't often get to see it because I'm on the other side of the room and the people near the windows rarely open the blinds. The city's been foggy lately, I enjoyed taking glances outside since I've been stuck in my desk facing the computer all day.
My planner's december month is slowly filling up too. Lots of projects, exams, presentations and quizzes due this week and next week. I also have work during the holidays so it's getting pretty tough.
My schedule for next term is hell! But the subjects are very exciting. Flash, Dreamweaver, Film Editing and Audio! Who wouldn't love that?!
That's about it, just jotting down how the day went and I guess chronicling the random things that can perk up my day. I haven't enjoyed December so much so this year I plan to do so even with all the academic load. I think school's still fun! :)



Comments
Post a Comment