New Age isn't New.

I don't like it when people tell me I'm so Eat, Pray, Love.

I've been Eat, Pray, Love before it even existed, heck I've been travelling on my own before everybody started marketing and promoting themselves as travellers.

Growing up I've been taught to sit and meditate with my parents,
I've been lighting incense sticks and bowing to the gods three times,
I've been casting spells to the universe before "universe" became another word for god.
I've been praying and forming my own beliefs while going through different religions.
I've been called a heretic numerous times by friends because I didn't attend sunday mass, rebelled and questioned against catholic authority.
I've been branded weird because of my firm belief in reincarnation.

And now they're starting to  act all new-agey.


And do they even know what "Pray" is in Eat, Pray, Love?
I think people focus on Eat, Love and ... Travel.

Okay sorry for sourgraping, it's just annoying when you get these looks from some people like you're just following a fad. And it's annoying to see old friends who start becoming new-agey, when they were the first ones to judge you before.

Oh well, to each his own.

Comments

  1. exactly. why people looked at us weird about the way we had differently practiced our faith and spirituality. i used to hate it when people started to judge like i was some kind of demon promoter.

    now, look at them now. i can only heavily sigh.
    "eating your own words, eh?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a falling out with someone recently about missing church on a Sunday. I have due respect for those who are devout practitioners as I come from a very close-knit Catholic family. However, spirituality is not something to be imposed but encouraged. We respect a higher force in our own ways and I have never felt wrong about this. Prayer, no matter what form it may be in-- is still prayer. The universe has allowed us to explore many ways to express and appreciate creation. Some might have a name for such but in the end what matters is respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see them choke on it :) just kidding!

    Yup, I guess that's the thing, people seem to judge you on the number of times you mutter a hail mary or attend mass. For some, prayer is something very personal, something we do not need for everyone to see. I hope that everyone respects our choice of expressing our spirituality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts