My Battle Cry
Today I decided to heed my horoscope. If you're reading this and itching to tell me how people shouldn't believe in horoscopes then exit immediately. I prefer it when people don't shove their beliefs down my throat. Thank you.
On a more positive note, yes, back to my horoscope, it said I should take a rest and relax. I only ever follow my horoscope if it's positive anyway. Besides, it allows me to reflect on how I perceive my life at the moment. So after thinking about how stressed and confused I am with all the pile of projects I decided to take it slow and clear my mind.
I met up with A and led him to a jewel of a deli in Gastown. The Cottage Deli, where they serve delicious sandwiches at student friendly rates (very rare in touristy Gastown).
I had a turkey, avocado, and swiss sandwich while A had turkey and bacon sandwich melt each priced at $6.95 or less (excluding tax). The food was delicious, the restaurant owners were very nice, the place was huge, and the view looked out towards the North shore. He gave me all his pickles because I love pickles and he doesn't because he never saw Little Rascals.
Afterwards, we did something that deviated from our usual activities and found ourselves checking off another item from our bucket list: Walking on a bridge.
The view was great but the height was a little nauseating, added to that were vehicles zipping recklessly.
We decided on going to Granville Island, and saw this lady sitting, enjoying her macaroons so we went inside the La Baguette bakery to buy some ourselves. I'd say the green pistachio macaroon was the best among all the flavours.
We headed inside the market and had our mid-day meal (Chinese and Thai food). Going home, we passed by a world music store and I remembered M and how she said we could just sit in a park and play bongos for the kids.
I was charmed by this spinning drum toy which reminded me of my childhood. If I remember correctly it was from my father, he had bought something similar in Japan before we were born. Sadly, I don't remember how or when we lost it, but because of the association, I decided to get it and delegate a specific function for it: My battle cry. I'll spin the drum when I need all the energy, passion and drive I can muster!
Then I was charmed with this music box, I've always wanted to collect music boxes. This one only played when one cranks the knob, that was a charm in itself but it was Beethoven's Fur Elise that made me pick it up and buy it. It is one of the most haunting music of all time, and one of the few songs I learned (and forgot) to play on a piano.
I am tempted to bring this to the bus with me and when someone starts cursing I'm going to sit there and play it.
It was a nice walk, and I had a very happy talk with A, he's sort of my cheerleader. I'm glad he's my friend because he sees all the positive things that I don't. All my self-doubt vanishes because he makes me see myself from another point-of-view, one that's filled with promise.
We are all our own worst enemies and I wish I could stop self-sabotaging. A told me we should create new memories instead of pining for the old ones. I've only a few months left to learn to appreciate my life in the big C. So I better start now.
Thank you God for the sun, for the good food, and for good friends.








Comments
Post a Comment