From Dreamer to Doer
August 12, 2012
How do you help people? How do you help them without having to be a lawyer or a doctor? I don't want to be either. I want to be a healer and a helper but not through those means, so I become a story-teller. I write a lot and think of creative solutions but writing and thinking can only do so much. I realized I had to be a doer. It is a struggle for someone who has constantly spent her life daydreaming. But transitioning from being a thinker to that of a doer is a difficult process. It requires confidence, openness to criticism and courage to show your vulnerabilities to the world. I dislike those things, I am uncomfortable showing the world my true feelings because I'm afraid people will either take advantage of my weakness or exploit my strengths and use them as their own. I find comfort in my superficiality because that way people don't know how I really feel, that way they can't find ways to strike me.
But I know myself, I am real to myself, I like myself so much that I enjoy being my own company for most of the time. I just don't trust the world to feel the same.
To be a doer means opening myself up. If I have stories, I have to tell them, if I have films, I have to show them. If I have ideas, I have to execute them. And this is where my struggle as an artist continues. It is not only a struggle with my "talent", skill, or style it's also a struggle with myself and the world.
"Artists are brave people. We share our creations with the world, and any time we create something and share it with someone else, it is subject to criticism."
How do you help people? How do you help them without having to be a lawyer or a doctor? I don't want to be either. I want to be a healer and a helper but not through those means, so I become a story-teller. I write a lot and think of creative solutions but writing and thinking can only do so much. I realized I had to be a doer. It is a struggle for someone who has constantly spent her life daydreaming. But transitioning from being a thinker to that of a doer is a difficult process. It requires confidence, openness to criticism and courage to show your vulnerabilities to the world. I dislike those things, I am uncomfortable showing the world my true feelings because I'm afraid people will either take advantage of my weakness or exploit my strengths and use them as their own. I find comfort in my superficiality because that way people don't know how I really feel, that way they can't find ways to strike me.
But I know myself, I am real to myself, I like myself so much that I enjoy being my own company for most of the time. I just don't trust the world to feel the same.
To be a doer means opening myself up. If I have stories, I have to tell them, if I have films, I have to show them. If I have ideas, I have to execute them. And this is where my struggle as an artist continues. It is not only a struggle with my "talent", skill, or style it's also a struggle with myself and the world.
"Artists are brave people. We share our creations with the world, and any time we create something and share it with someone else, it is subject to criticism."
– Scott van Dort
how come you write so well? read your posts from long ago and i couldnt help but be amazed at your ease with words
ReplyDeleteoh thank you! i would have to thank my grade school english teachers for that, and then harry potter. hihihi. I read a lot of books when I was younger so I think that helped me a lot too.
ReplyDelete