A Peek into the Past



My mother asked me to do a very special project for her. I went on a roadtrip to visit my grandmother's brother to interview him on his life. Unfortunately my grandfather is already bedridden and can't talk. So I, along with my bestfriend and her boyfriend (tagged them along) sat down and listened to my grandfather's wife recount the days of their youth.

She talked about where they were born, where they went to college, and how they met. You don't realize it but these people also lived like you albeit in a different era. Lolo and Lola both went off to college in Manila to study in their respective fields. Lola said that that was the best time of her life, to be independent, free and able to travel places. And just from listening to adults talk, they always say that you never realize that those years of your youth were the happiest because at that age you were too preoccupied with little worries about everyday life and maybe the future.

The people of their generation are slowly dying, they were a witness to an era far different from ours and one that must be preserved. I only wished we had done this sooner. No matter, I still do remember some of the stories my grandmother told me.

When we're young we don't see the importance of appreciating the older population but as the years pass we realize how important they are, and that's when we start to regret.

                                                                             --                                                                      

Anyway on a (longer) sidenote, some pervert was trying to feel me on the bus so I raised my voice, called him out and got everyone's attention. I transferred seats a few minutes after.

The reaction I got from facebook were all to fight back, slap the guy and shizz (mostly from guys)... but you realize that when you're the one experiencing it, everything happens slowly. You're mind doesn't react quickly and physical confrontation I think, is something that most of the women in our culture are not accustomed to. At least, we were not raised that way. Growing up in a patriarchal society where the burden lies on the woman to prove that the harassment occurred, creates a huge psychological effect.

This is the rape culture that a lot of people still do not understand. Their minds are conditioned to be biased towards the male. This is something that will take a long time to change so while I'm at it, I will practice becoming an Amazon and slap, punch, kick the second someone does that to me again.

Anyway, I hope a lot of macho alphamales get to read this. Ciao!

Comments

  1. Gah! I had the same experience. the guy poked the exposed skin of my leg as he alighted the motorela. But i was able to get my revenge by kicking him at the butt a second later. the best part? I was wearing my sharpest stilletos. ha! great job, shoesies!

    but after processing the whole scenario a few hours later, the victorious feeling left me. i realized i was still a victim of sexual harassment. no amount or kind of getting even could erase that fact.

    pft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's true, the victorious feeling quickly dissipates and the depression sets in. it's oppressing once you think about how powerless you are as a woman in this society. no matter how much we feel empowered as women, one flick of their tongue, a lewd stare can change that entire feeling.

    but i'd like to think that calling these men out on their offences also embarrassed them greatly and will push them not to do it again.
    the fact that such act causes embarrassment should be enough reason for them to realize it's a beastial thing to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts